5 Aug 2013

'My boyfriend may have one of the world's rarest conditions, but we're just a normal couple': Girlfriend of the man with no fat in his body speaks out about their relationship

The girlfriend of a professional para-athlete says that even though her boyfriend has one of the rarest conditions in the world, they are just a normal couple.
Alice Miller, 23, met Tom Staniford, 24, online and says that they ‘clicked instantly’ and are now living together in London.
Mr Staniford is one of only eight people in the world with MDP syndrome, which means that since the age of 12 he has been unable to store fat under his skin or even on the soles of his feet.
Alice Miller, 23, met Tom Staniford, 24, online and says that they 'clicked instantly' and are now living together in London. Mr Staniford is a para-cyclist who is hoping to representing GB in the 2016 Olympics
Alice Miller, 23, met Tom Staniford, 24, online and says that they 'clicked instantly' and are now living together in London. Mr Staniford is a para-cyclist who is hoping to representing GB in the 2016 Olympics
He also has just 40 per cent of the muscles of an average man and has poor hearing.
Surprisingly, Mr Staniford also suffers from type 2 diabetes - a disease usually associated with obesity.
Miss Miller, who works for custom bike experts CycleFit, travelled from Sheffield, where she was then a student, all the way to Mr Staniford’s hometown, Exeter, for their first date.
She said: ‘We had clicked instantly online, he was so easy to talk to. He told me about his condition and I’d seen a few pictures of him but I didn’t really know what he really looked like until I met him in person.
‘I remember being worried - like any first date - but I wanted an adventure.
‘It was odd to see him in real life. His appearance did take me by surprise and he was much taller than I had expected.’ 
Mr Staniford is one of only eight people in the world with MDP syndrome, which means that since the age of 12 he has been unable to store fat under his skin or even the soles of his feet
Mr Staniford is one of only eight people in the world with MDP syndrome, which means that since the age of 12 he has been unable to store fat under his skin or even on the soles of his feet

Mr Staniford also has just 40 per cent of the muscles of an average man and has poor hearing meaning that he has to wear hearing aids
Mr Staniford also has just 40 per cent of the muscles of an average man and has poor hearing meaning that he has to wear hearing aids
She added: ‘Initially, I was self-conscious because people were staring at Tom but he didn’t let it bother him and he instantly put me at ease.
‘He was so friendly and we talked for hours over a meal at the local pub. It was just like any normal first date.’
Miss Miller says the pair are just like any normal couple - apart from the fact that they don’t go clubbing or out for late night drinking sessions.
Mr Staniford explained: ‘I don’t like walking and I can’t stand for long periods because of my condition. Even without it, though, I don’t think I’d be very good at clubbing. I’m a professional athlete so need to keep healthy.’

No comments:

Post a Comment